Muffler and Exhaust Services
The Importance of Muffler & Exhaust Maintenance
Your car’s exhaust system is responsible for making sure your engine is running at peak performance. By channeling and expelling the gases created by your engine, this system reduces harmful emissions and the buildup of dangerous fumes both inside and around your car. It also minimizes noise created by your engine’s combustion process. The muffler, which is part of the exhaust system, improves the engine’s performance by maintaining backpressure.
The exhaust system is made up of the catalytic converter, muffler, exhaust manifold and pipes. This system acts as a silencer and keeps your drive smooth, quiet and pleasant. Because combustion is used by the engine to create needed power from fuel, dangerous gases like hydrocarbon, sulfur dioxide, lead and carbon dioxide are created as a result. The exhaust system helps reduce these gases and create more environmentally friendly emissions. It also prevents these gases from building up inside the cabin of your car.
Common Muffler & Exhaust Problems
When your exhaust system and muffler are working properly, you may not even notice them. Many drivers never encounter a problem with their exhaust system for the life of their car. However, when there is a problem, it can be easily identified. Some signs of an issue include:
- Poor gas mileage: One of the muffler’s main roles is to control how quickly exhaust flows from your vehicle. When the muffler is damaged, the pressure from this process is reduced and the engine needs to work harder and becomes less efficient.
- Rattling or knocking sounds: The exhaust system is designed to act as a silencer for your vehicle. If you’re hearing odd or loud noises while driving, it may be time to bring your vehicle in for an inspection.
- Condensation in the exhaust pipes: Any condensation is a sign that the exhaust system isn’t working properly.
- Bad odors: Exhaust fumes have a distinct burnt smell to them. It’s important to bring your car in as soon as you notice any odors, as they may contain dangerous fumes and can be fatal if it is breathed for too long.
- Loud clicking: The exhaust system is sealed and needs to remain air-tight to work properly. Clicking noises can mean that there is a leak or hole in the exhaust system that is allowing air into the pipes.
If you notice any of these symptoms while driving, it’s important to bring your vehicle in for service as soon as possible. A poorly running exhaust system is a hazard to your health, as it could mean there is a dangerous gas buildup. In addition, the reduction in engine performance means you’ll be spending more money on fuel and repairs as parts wear out more quickly than they should.
The Importance of Routine Inspections
Nearly all issues with the muffler and exhaust system are caused by rust or damaged parts. Because this system has parts that are exposed on the underside of your car, it is especially susceptible to harm from the elements. Harsh winter weather conditions, road salt and small debris can all contribute to corrosion, leaks and holes in the system. Many of these issues are easily identified through routine maintenance and regular inspections of the exhaust system components, either by you or a professional mechanic.
Muffler and Exhaust Repair at Boyce Auto Repair
Family-owned, Boyce Auto Repair is committed to providing high-quality auto repair service and an excellent customer experience. We are uniquely qualified to address any issues with your muffler and exhaust system. Whether you need specific parts replaced or a custom exhaust system fabricated, we are able to fix any issues you may be experiencing.