Brakes and Rotors Services
The Importance of Brake and Rotor Care
Your car’s brake system is key to keeping you safe on the road. Two of the most important components of this system are the brake rotors and pads. Having these parts regularly serviced is vital and reduces the likelihood of an accident.
How do these parts work? The brake pads create friction when they are pressed against the bowl-shaped rotor. This friction takes kinetic energy and turns it into thermal energy, which is then absorbed by the rotors and dissipated. This process is responsible for stopping your car. Over time, the pads wear down and become inefficient at transferring this energy. Once they are less than a quarter-inch thick, they can no longer properly perform their job.
Some signs that it’s time to have your brakes serviced include:
- Vibration: If you drive at 30mph and feel vibration when applying your brakes, your rotors may be warped. Your brakes need to be inspected at the first sign of vibrations or pulsing sensations during braking.
- Pulling: If your vehicle pulls to one side when you brake, the pads have worn unevenly.
- Grinding: If you can hear grinding, the pads have completely worn away, and the rotors are damaging each other.
- Squealing: An indicator called a shim is part of your brakes and creates a squealing sound when the pads get too thin.
- Fading: If your brakes feel spongy or like they’re sinking when applied, there’s an issue with your brake fluid.
While the pads are the most common source of maintenance problems, rotors can also develop rust over time, and brake fluid needs to be flushed and replaced once it has collected too much debris to effectively support the system.
At Boyce Auto Repair, our experts work to ensure that every vehicle is safe for the road. Our brake and rotor services include:
- Inspection and adjustments: We’ll make sure everything is inspected and fitted properly.
- Brake line repair and replacement: We’ll repair and replace the lines that help provide the pressure needed to stop.
- Rotor and drum resurfacing: If the rotors are warped, we will resurface them to fit properly again.
- Wheel and master cylinder replacement: The cylinders that convert pressure from your foot into hydraulic pressure need to be replaced periodically. Our experts will replace them as needed.
- Parking brake service: We will inspect, repair, and replace your parking brake system if it is damaged.
A properly maintained brake system is vital to your safety on the road. At the first sign of squealing, grinding or softening, make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected. Brake system repairs need to be done immediately. They cannot be put off. If you have any concerns about your vehicle’s safety, have your car towed into the shop. Never risk your safety or the safety of your family.
The Boyce family has nearly 30 years of experience in the auto repair shop industry. Our team is committed to providing honest, fair, high-quality auto services to the Northfield community. From routine maintenance to major repairs, we can help you keep your car running properly and safely.